Thursday, February 10, 2011

~of english~

I was reminded yesterday, during a seminar at my workplace that English is very important. As a government servant, I seldom had the opportunity to use English. Our letters, memos, are all in Bahasa Melayu. I considered myself as an A student when it comes to English, even when I had the strictest teacher (when it comes to marks). I know I’m not the best in my school, but at least I’m good in my exams. During the university, all sorts of notes, assignments, and lectures are in English. I like it that way, except when it comes to presenting. I tend to forget what I should say, hence comes the use of palm notes (small notes on our palm?). I learnt the importance of soft skills. When I started working for the first time, I was taken aback when I learnt that we’d be using Bahasa Melayu. As times past, I begin to learn how Bahasa Melayu is used in letters, paperwork or memos – the way you put the words to convey certain messages. But still, in my profession, in IT, my reference books are always in English, sometimes it’s hard to translate an IT term in English to BM. But we use quotes or italic when using English in our paperwork. I always thought that creating a blog in English is not wrong, I’m learning myself. My blog is for me to learn English, in writing. Talking-in-English-wise, that’s a thing I have to learn offline. Haha. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...